Saturday, March 15, 2008

I Believe "The Better Story"...


You'll have to read the book to understand my meaning.

And it's a funny thing. I checked this book out of the library a total of four times. The first three times I brought it back, unread. I am just too overly voracious when it comes to grabbing books off the shelf I guess. My eyes are always too big for the capacity of my schedule. Silly me.

Anyway, I finally read it.

And it was one of the best books I've ever read!!!



Life of Pi by Yann Martel

I wouldn't even know where to start in the realm of literary critique. All I know is that I loved it and that I've got an absolutely huge crush on Pi. And isn't that enough?

Yay to Yann!

But here's what others had to say:


  • A book by an extraordinary talent. - San Jose Mercury News
  • A fantastic tale. - USA Today
  • Each chapter is a well-polished pearl... - Seattle Times
  • If this centruty produces a classic work of literature, Martel is surely a contender. - The Nation
  • Beautifully fantasitical and spirited. - Salon
  • It may not make you believe in God, but it will make you believe in literature. - San Diego Union Tribune
  • Nothing short of miraculous. - Denver Post
  • One of the strangest but most approachable novels in years. - The Economist
  • The world for the reader for a time consists only of a young boy, a lifeboat, a tiger, and the wide blue ocean. - New Orleans Times
  • Think: comic strip 'Calving and Hobbes" with an overt religious theme. - Wall Street Journal
  • A fabulous romp through an imagination by turns ecstatic, cunning, desparing and resilient... - Publishers Weekly
  • A work of wonder... He's a storyteller, and a brilliant one. - Book
  • Luminously written... - The Times Literary Supplement
  • Fresh, original, smart, devious and crammed with absorbing lore. - Sunday Times
  • This is a novel, says the jacket blurb, that will make you believe in God. I am not sure about that. but it is a story so magical, so playful, so harrowing and astonishing that it will make you believe imagination might be the first step. - The Times of London
  • A story to make you believe in the soul-searching power of fiction - Los Angeles Times

Run, do not walk to read it!

Clay content? I unashamedly admit that it was him who I pictured throughout the whole ordeal. Pretty much nekkid, but with some bronzer...

Adding it to the top of my BookClub now!


Technorati tags:
, ,

No comments: